Cowan Avenue Elementary School
The use of social media and smart phones has become second nature to our students. While many adults may not feel comfortable with technology, we as parents and educators still share the responsibility to teach our students appropriate behavior at home and through digital media as well. Our students need to know what constitutes appropriate behavior online and with their phones. Many Cowan students have phones and tablets. Take time to ask your child one or more of these significant questions. You may be surprised.
1. The Golden Rule: Are you treating others the way you want to be treated? Would you want to be tagged in that photo? Would you want someone saying those things about you online?
2. The Laws and Policies Test: Does what you are doing violate a law? Perhaps harassment, invasion of privacy, defamation, or cyberbullying? Would you be comfortable doing this in front of a police officer or school administrator?
3. The Everybody Test: What if everybody is doing the same thing that you are? Would that change your mind?
4. The Offline Test: Would you be willing to make that same comment to the person’s face?
5. The Real Name Test: This test applies only to social media behavior. How would you change your behavior if you knew that your real name would be associated with it? Would you say it differently, perhaps more thoughtfully?
6. The Emotion Test: Are you texting something to someone because you are angry, jealous, or otherwise emotionally charged?
7. The Whole World Test: Would you be comfortable with the whole world knowing what you are doing?
8. The “Get It?” Test: Is what you are trying to say hard to communicate? Is it likely to be misinterpreted? If it were misinterpreted, might it be hurtful?
9. Your Test. This is the test that matters most. Consider how what you are doing reflects on you as a person. What does it say about you? Do you like what it says about you? Does it reinforce the notion of the person that you want to be?
Parent Conference Information
Dear Cowan Families,